Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Julie's Secret Sloth by Jacqueline Jackson (1953) part 1

Strange smells, lamp crashing in the middle of the night, and a head of cabbage mysteriously rolling across the living room floor! These are some of the strange happenings in the usually normal Potter house after nine-year-old Julie returns from a visit with her aunt and uncle. Julie is very resourceful in finding ways to hide her new pet, Sampson, a giant two-toed sloth, in the house right under the noses of her parents, which makes for a hilarious story.
When I was a child, remember reading a very funny story about a girl hiding a pet sloth in her house. That was all I could remember. With some research, I found a title, Julie's Secret Sloth, and bingo! I knew that was it! How exciting to find this book on interlibrary loan, when I couldn't remember anything about it except that Julie's mother is puzzled when she finds long gray hairs in the bathtub.

No comments:

Post a Comment